Officials in Beijing announced that primary and secondary schools will be suspended, and that travel from the city without a test will be stopped after more than 100 new cases were detected in China’s capital over recent days.
Beijing also shut down several markets, including the largest wholesale food market and locked down 21 residential estates in Fengtai and the northern district of Haidian, after six new domestically-transmitted coronavirus (COVID-19) cases were reported.
Beijing has upgraded its emergency response COVID-19 from level III to II starting Tuesday, a local official announced.
More than 100 cases of the novel coronavirus have been officially recorded in the fresh outbreak in Beijing, the World Health Organization said on Monday.
Last week, China reported a new cluster of cases in Beijing, after more than 50 days without a case in that city.
Twenty-seven new cases were reported in the last 22 hours, Beijing city spokesman Xu Hejian said.