The Gazette Today

IT'S WORTH DAILY

Azerbaijan-Armenia war over Nagorno-Karabakh region continues

3 min read
The deadliest war between Azerbaijan and Armenia continued to rage on Friday, for more than a week with artillery and heavy guns. The United States, France and Russia stepped up efforts to secure a ceasefire and avert a wider war in the South Caucasus.

The deadliest war between Azerbaijan and Armenia continued to rage on Friday, for more than a week with artillery and heavy guns. The United States, France and Russia stepped up efforts to secure a ceasefire and avert a wider war in the South Caucasus.

Azerbaijan said the city of Ganja had come under fire, deep inside its territory. Ethnic Armenians who control the mountain enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh inside Azerbaijan said Stepanakert, its main city, had been shelled by Azeri forces. In a sign of growing alarm in the region, the head of a six-country military alliance that is led by Russia and includes Armenia warned that the group could intervene if Armenian sovereignty were threatened. The United States, France and Russia stepped up efforts to secure a ceasefire and avert a wider war in the South Caucasus.

  • Russia says will host Armenian, Azerbaijan officials for truce talks as fighting rages.
  • Fighting continues, with both countries alleging to be under attack.
  • Nagorno-Karabakh ethnic Armenian officials say 26 more troops killed.
  • Azerbaijan claims it has cleared unexploded missiles outside the fighting zone.

The continued fighting and rising tension underlined the difficulties facing U.S., Russian and French officials meeting in Geneva to try to halt fighting in which at least 400 people have been killed since it broke out on Sept. 27. Azeri Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov was due to attend Thursday`s talks, but no direct meetings have been scheduled between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Armenian Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan is expected to hold separate talks with U.S., French and Russian officials in Moscow on Monday. Washington, Paris and Moscow are co-chairs of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe`s Minsk Group that has led mediation over Nagorno-Karabakh since 1992.

“The position of the United States has been clear and has not changed: both sides must cease hostilities immediately and work with the Minsk Group Co-Chairs to return to substantive negotiations as soon as possible,” a U.S. spokesman said.

Under international law, Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Azerbaijan, but it is populated and governed by ethnic Armenians and broke away in a 1991-94 war that killed about 30,000. The renewed fighting has increased concern that Turkey, a close ally of Azerbaijan, and Russia, which has a defence pact with Armenia, could be sucked into the conflict.

The clashes have also increased worries about the security of pipelines in Azerbaijan that carry natural gas and oil to Europe, and Moscow fears Islamist militants will enter Nagorno-Karabakh and use it as a base for which to enter Russia. Stanislav Zas, who heads the Collective Security Treaty Organisation (CSTO) that groups Russia and five other former Soviet republics, gave no details when he said it could intervene if Armenia`s sovereignty were threatened. But he said the group did not welcome any actions by Turkey and other countries that were aimed at fostering peace.

13 thoughts on “Azerbaijan-Armenia war over Nagorno-Karabakh region continues

  1. Hi there! I simply wish to give you a big thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be returning to your site for more soon. Beret Ramsey Elberta

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *