“Online education is like a rising tide, it’s going to lift all the boats.”
Online education – the answer to this lockdown and pandemic things. With the advent of pandemic “COVID’ 19” schools and colleges were shut, students were left in the middle of the sea with a vast course. At that time, teachers came on board to rescue students with an initiative to run online classes to answer their queries, to let them not suffer from the loss of studies, and that too won’t land with a part of their knowledge missing in the upcoming years with the help of online education.
What is online education?
Earlier online education was limited to a specific area i.e. coaching institutions distance learning programs, youtube learning, and online crash courses, but now teachers from schools and colleges have also joined online to teach their students from their home. Now, education has become a distance learning program for one and all be it, students and teachers who are striving to gain knowledge and spread knowledge respectively.
“Online education is an electronically supported learning that relies on the use of the Internet for teacher/student interaction and the distribution of class materials.” This defines the infinite number of ways to challenge traditional classroom learning including webinars, WhatsApp media exchange, and one to one calling initiatives. With the rise of the internet, the way of life has changed drastically. In this era where people love to shop online, do business online, make new friends online, also wish to learn online. With E-commerce ranking first, in online businesses; learning and education stand the next right to it.
What good does Online Education bring?
- Online Education is a safe alternative to ensure the health of students and staff.
- Talented instructors looking for online or remote jobs are now employed easily to share their knowledge.
- Without online learning capabilities, teaching would be forced to cease in this hard time.
- Remote competitions are organized, children are learning to deal with the technologies easily.
- Recorded sessions allow students to revise the chapters they missed while in an online session.
As the coin flips two ways, online education, having benefits, has its struggle too.
Struggles of Teachers:
- Now that teachers are teaching from home, students and their parents both are present in online classes.
- Parents of young ones keep pestering teachers in the middle of the session asking queries regarding how much syllabus is left? or when will the exams will be scheduled?
- Since everybody is at home these days, teachers have to struggle between household chores and teaching assessment.
- Parents’ pressure is on a high as students are not able to cope with this new amendment in the way of their schooling.
- Disturbed 24*7 due to this online learning and interaction via social media.
- Conducting online tests and quizzes, where students can easily cheat in many ways, teachers have to keep an eye on every student online.
- College students do not let teachers take classes in a monotonous way and keep disturbing in the middle of the session.
Struggles of Students:
- Students of primary classes are complaining about eye-ailments, like pain, tear dropdown, and visibility.
- Sitting at the same place for continuous hours is causing backaches to the students.
- Teachers can’t be available all the time, queries stack up by each day.
- Even Sundays are not a fun day.
- Huge assignments piling up.
Since this is something new for the students and teachers as well, it will take time to cope with this new tradition but once it will balance its pace no force will be able to restrict the flow of Online Education.
Future Scope of Online Education
Online education is the backbone of the education that has been discovered in this hard time. It should not be limited to the specific area instead should be spread around so that no student faces illiteracy. When schools can switch to this mode why not develop it as a habit?
Here are some facts regarding online education:
- The online education market in India was worth $ 247 million in 2016, which is expected to grow by about $ 1.96 billion by 2021. That is a compound annual growth rate of 52%.
- The number of users enrolled for various online learning courses is estimated to be 1.6 Million in 2016, Which is expected to grow by about 9.6 Million by the end of 2021.
- There is a 175% estimated increase in the cost of classroom education, this gives online education more preference as it is cost-effective.
- Around 48% population in India of age group 15-40 years with a low-income rate is a good target market for online education.
- Practical work is on hold.
These facts give a clear picture of future involvement and the potential of online education.
Online classes being started as a solution to continue schools and colleges curriculum, now appears as a weapon for the near future. Though it is a completely new platform for teachers as well as the students, their struggles can’t be left unheard, but with time they will get used to it and the whole country will see a new picture of “Education”.
As rose this COVID’19, as should rise online education with the motive of “Learn from anywhere and at any time.”